Saturday, January 9, 2010

I Can't Get Up!

Just the other morning, I was getting ready to take my children to school. It was an extremely cold morning, well, for south Alabama, and I was making sure I was dressing warm. Over my sweater, I had on my black leather jacket. I had my neck wrapped in a scarf. My head was covered with a toboggan, and my hands were warmed by my leather gloves.

When my two sons and I got into the car, I said, “I am bundled up.” They looked at me and said, “Yes, you are.” I then asked why they had not done the same. They told me that it was too many clothes to be wearing. I said, “Well, at least, you will be warm.” And they said, “Well, at least, we will be able to move around comfortably.” Then one of my sons said, “We would be like Ralphies’ brother Randy on ‘A Christmas Story.’ You know when his mom put all those winter clothes on him, and he fell in the snow and could not get up.” Then we all laughed, and I said, “I guess you’re right.”

As I drove, I began to think about that little scene in the movie. By bundling her son up so heavily, Mrs. Parker really believed she was doing Randy a favor. Obviously, she was protecting him from the snow and cold; however, her actions put Randy at a disadvantage. As Randy was walking with Ralphie to school, he was knocked down, and because of all the clothing Mrs. Parker wrapped him in, he could not get up. So he just rolled back and forth in the snow, shouting, “I can’t get up!”

Then it dawned on me, we pastors often do this to those under our care. We do our best to help them and to encourage them. We give them the dos and don’ts, and we mold them to be exactly like us. Though our intentions may be good, often, we do more harm than we truly desire.

Instead of allowing them to wear the belt of truth, we squeeze their waist with hypocrisy. We teach them to allow self-righteousness to guard their chest instead of allowing them to put on the breastplate of righteousness that is truly found in Christ. Shoes for the gospel of peace are replaced for shoes of backbiting, gossip, and disunity. We lead them to put down the shield of faith and to take up the flaming arrows of the evil one to throw at one another. The helmet of salvation is reduced to an individualistic, self-seeking, self-serving message of protection from hell instead about the Kingdom news that heaven has come near to earth. The sword of the Spirit is proclaimed as the word of God only when it can be used for our advantage to advance our agendas or to keep others under control.

When we replace the armor of God with something of our own creation, we are actually preparing the people of our communities for failure. Just as Randy could not get up under the weight of his own clothing, often, those we have been entrusted to disciple feel the same after we have bundled them up and turned them lose to walk on their own. When they find themselves fallen due to life’s pressures or sin, they wallow in fear, self-pity, and condemnation, yelling, “I can’t get up!” We assume we are preparing the participants of our faith communities for the cold world they face day in and day out, but in actuality, we have burdened them even more. The people of our faith communities are often ill prepared to face life in a Christian way. We turn them loose to the wolves; they fall, and can’t get up. Then we fail to help them get out of the hole we put them in.

As we seek to disciple those who are part of our faith communities, we should remember well the words of Jesus, “The scribes and Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them” (Matthew 23:2-4, NRSV).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M

No comments:

Post a Comment