Thursday, December 31, 2009

10 Blessings I Received During 2009

This morning I have been reflecting just a little on 2009, and so I thought, I will make a list of the blessings I have experienced throughout the year. Here goes…….

1. I am totally blessed to have my fiancée, Jaclyn Elliott, in my life. She is an absolutely wonderful person and woman of God. I cannot wait to marry her in April. She has blessed my life this past year in ways I could never put in words. She has stood by me through difficult times. She has showered me with prayers. I must brag about her, and say that she never turned and ran away through the struggle we experienced this past year. She hung in there and showed great character even when others where not being so nice. Jaclyn is real and authentic. She does not try to be something she is not. I have seen her bad side, and I have seen her wonderful side. Actually, I love her even more that I have seen her weaknesses because that let's me know she is not afraid to be genuine. I know she has a heart for Christ, and I am so blessed that she has chosen to be with me.

2. I am blessed to have two wonderful sons. Christian is a blessing to me. He is my oldest. His guitar playing brings joy to me because he shares a gift and talent that I have as well. I am also proud that he is doing well in school. He is an awesome football player on his middle school team. You know, I am even thankful for his strong personality. He will be a great leader someday. No, let me restate that. He is a great leader now, and I know he will exceed his potential in the future. Austin, my youngest son, is also a blessing to me. Austin is daddy's boy. He is really great with children who are younger than he is. It seems that, wherever he goes, little children are naturally drawn to him. Maybe, he has a gift and talent to minister to or serve children. Austin is real. I don't think I have ever seen him fake being who he is. He can be quiet when around strangers, but I think he is just sizing up the situation so he can lay down the boom later. He does not judge people due to their skin color, and I am proud of him for this attitude. And let me tell you, he is a master at video games. I think his expertise will be in technology as he grows older. Anyway, both of my sons are wonderful, and they are certainly at the top of my list of blessings.

3. I must mention Love In Action International Ministries (http://loveinactionministries.com). LIA has been such a blessing to me. Being able to help with ministering to the poor, marginalized, and homeless, has caused me to grow spiritually in ways I could never imagine. I am so thankful for Ken Tuck, Martha Tuck, Mike Shroades, Justin Swasey, and Mama (Susie) Tuck, oh, and let me not forget Franklin Moore. These people are not just people who have allowed me to minister with them, but they are people who have become such great friends to me. My life has been completely altered (for better or for worse, no just kidding, they have truly blessed me) because they have allowed me to enter their's. And I must say, they have stuck with me (just like Jaclyn) through difficult times in my life this past year. To all those that Love In Action has ministered to and served, I say, I love you because all of you have blessed me tremendously.

4. Also, I need to mention all the great friendships I have developed over the past year. All these people truly blessed my life in 2009, even if they do not realize it. Here they are: Bill Price, Jack Kale, Roy Rogers, Mike Hoppe, Mike Pearson, Steve Stock, Bob Pitcher, Mark Fleming, Marty Hamilton, Adam Mashburn, Andy Eckart, Max Morris, Ted Hils, Stu McMahan, Amy McMahan, Jeff Burnett, Cheryl Hidle, Christine Avant, Jaromy Henry, Myrna Henry, Doug Bell, Steve Horn, and this list could go on. I say thanks to you all for your friendship, love, comfort, patience, and prayers. I truly love you all, and you are all dear to my heart.

5. Of course, I say thanks to all the staff at Harvest Church. It has been a great pleasure to minister with you all. 2009 was a great year for Harvest. Grace and Peace to you guys and gals.

6. I want to say a special thank you to my mother and father, my brother and sister. I love all of you. You have been my family my entire life, and you have always stood beside me and gave me encouragement. Thanks for all the love you have shown me throughout my 37 years. You are the reason for who I am!

7. Asbury Theological Seminary has blessed me over the past year. I have grown so much in Christ because of the wonderful teaching of so many Spirit filled professors. You all have really stretched my thinking, and my faith has grown stronger because of it. May God continue to use Asbury Seminary in powerful ways.

8. I want to thank the Haven in Dothan, AL for allowing me to speak to their people from time to time as needs have shown themselves. I have been extremely blessed due to your trust in me. God bless the Haven, and what it is doing in the lives of so many who struggle with addiction.

9. Thanks to the United Methodist Church for allowing me to pursue candidacy for ordination. I am so thankful for your open hearts, open minds, and open doors. I am so blessed by you.

10. Lastly, I am thankful and blessed for, well, myself. I am blessed that I have persevered with myself. I am thankful that I have not let myself fall apart this year. Trust me, I have had reason to, but I must pat myself on the back and say that I continued to looked toward Jesus and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and I have sought comfort in my faith and great Christian friends and counsel. I am blessed that I have not given up on myself, my dreams, my calling, and my life. I pray that I will continue to do all I can to ignite a movement of faith, hope, and love with creative passion.

Well, there they are. The ten blessings of my life in the year of 2009.



1 comment:

  1. Excellent list Bro. You have been a great blessing to me, Martha, Love In Action, and Harvest. I'm careful who I call a "friend." I have colleagues, acquaintances and friends. You, my brother, are a true friend. I have learned a lot from you this year. I am proud of how you have not taken any steps back from God's call on your life. You have been through a lot this year, and in my opinion, undeservedly so. But, you have taken the high road and kept your focus on Jesus. Keep doing that Bro. I'm excited about you and Jacklyn getting married in April. You are going to be an awesome couple for God. He will do great things through both of you. Martha and I are so thankful y'all are a big part of LIA.
    I love you brother.

    ReplyDelete