Friday, February 13, 2009

If I were a Poet

If I were a poet, what would I say?

Would I speak alot about nothing,
or a little about everything?

Would I write of love's rapture,
or how hate the heart of men can capture?

Would I speak against war,
and ask, "What is it good for?"

Or Would I promote peace,
and ask for every prisoners' release?

Would I warn of man's demise,
and seek with all to compromise?

Would I be bold against prejudice,
and seek for all colors to have justice?

Or would it unknowingly be my fate,
to encourage others to do what I hate?

Would I let fear rain on my parade,
and cower to expose humanity's charade?

Would I even have the courage,
to speak so much and not be discouraged?

Could I stand and yell please,
find a cure for all disease?

And would I my bank account plunder,
if it would wipe out world hunger?

Would I even dare to write,
for a world movement to ignite?

Could I even take up my pen,
and ask God to forgive the world's sin?


So I ask, "What would I say,if I were a poet?"


by Brian Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment